The Black Berkey™ purification elements are designed to remove heavy metals, but will not remove mineral salts, which are added by a water softener. The salt in softened water has the tendency to clog the pores of the Black Berkey™ element. You can use one of our purification systems on a regular basis by bypassing your water softener to get your drinking water. Most water softeners have a bypass valve or way to get water before it passes through your softener. Therefore, we highly recommend that you obtain pre-softened water directly from the source rather than run softened water through your Black Berkey™ Elements. If you are unable to do so, frequent maintenance of the filters on as often as bi-weekly may be necessary. The life of the filters will be shortened by about 2/3.
Articles in this section
- What is the thread size for the Black Berkey® Purification Element’s Stem?
- Will the Black Berkey® Purification Elements remove kerosene?
- Do the Black Berkey Purification Elements remove algae blooms?
- Do the Black Berkey® Purification Elements remove lithium?
- Do the Black Berkey Filters remove Glyphosate a.k.a. Round-up?
- Do the Black Berkey Filters remove tannins?
- The Berkey Water Purification Process
- Are pthalates removed by the Black Berkey Filters
- Do the Black Berkey Filters remove arsenic?
- Do your filters take out plastic from the water?